Pages

Thursday 17 June 2010

Breath to succeed

Let me ask you, are you breathing? 

If you are not, go and report to the nurse quickly - if you are (and I really hope you are) let me ask are you thinking about your breathing?

I am betting that the answer is no, we generally do not think about our breathing, it is one of those automatic things that just happens. But did you know that you can improve your public speaking and calm your presentation nerves just by starting to think about your breathing?

When we speak in public It is important to remember the following:

  • Your breathing will affect your voice and projection - learning to control your breathing will allow you to improve the projection and clarity of your voice.
  • Your breathing can be affected by nerves.
  • You can also control your nerves by controlling your breathing.
To demonstrate this try the following simple breathing exercise:

  • take a deep breath in through your mouth
  • breath out SLOWLY through your nose (mentally count the seconds that it takes you to breath out)
  • concentrate on your breathing and repeat this at least five more times.

There are two benefits, firstly you will get more oxygen into your lungs and therefore feed your brain, and secondly the act of concentration allows you to think about something other than your nerves. Distraction is a good technique; we use it with children and it still works with us as adults. Force yourself to take a moment and think of something else. This is a simple technique that can be carried out anywhere and at any time.

I do this before I speak - it clears my mind and allows me to ensure I am able to present effectively. Go on, give it a try and see if it works for you!

Wilf

No comments:

Post a Comment